Products & Systems Design and Modeling
Intense competition is the main characteristic in today 's business activities in an environment characterized by products' and systems' users that are more demanding and more trained than ever before.
The challenge is not simply to provide products or services that satisfy needs at the lowest possible cost, but to create "loyal customers".
Satisfied and consequently loyal customers are those who purchased products or services of high credibility, required limited and low cost maintenance and support, provided on time, easily and effectively. These product characteristics are not implemented by chance and never after their initial design.
It is self-evident that characteristics are embodied in products and systems when the " Design for Logistics" philosophy dominates advanced logistics management strategies. The outcome is full utilization of the products' characteristics and maximum performance achievement in their Life Cycle.
Design for Logistics exists when techniques and methodologies such as:
- Front End Analysis
- Performance Based Supportability
- Life Cycle Cost Analysis
- Value Analysis - Value Engineering
- Configuration Management
- Logistics Support Analysis
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis etc,
are applied during Designing and Development Phase.
These aforementioned tools & methodologies are just an indicative "Tool Set" that must be used in every case once the relative adjustments are made.
Arcadia Consulting Ltd. has know-how, techniques, analysis tools and associates that make it capable to provide to its customers integrated solutions in products and systems design and modeling , based on the principles of "Product Ownership Total Cost Optimization".
The existence of a Configuration Management System is a critical success factor for all companies which use extensive or hi-tech production equipment and machinery , or produce similar type of products.
Configuration Management (CM) techniques must be applied during the design and (or) acquisition phase of any product or system and of course during the operational and maintenance phase, because CM is the systematic and iterative approach of:
- Identifying, indexing, creating and formally releasing the complete technical documentation, including specifications, drawings and data lists, which defines the original approved configuration and subsequently defines all approved changes to the individual Configuration Items (Identification & Indexing)
- Controlling Configuration Changes, begging in the earliest stages of a project and expended over the full service life of the individual CI. It consists of those systematic procedures by which configuration changes are proposed, evaluated, coordinated, and either approved for incorporation or disapproved. (Changes Control)
- Systematic recording of Configuration Data in a Configuration Data Base (CBD), which must be available (Status Accounting). CSA provides traceability of configuration product baseline and subsequent changes to those baselines
- Inspecting and verifying the credibility of the CBD files with actual data that form a system (Configuration Audits).
Effective CM provides the unique capability of effective design, development, operation and maintenance of every system, as it allows full traceability, based on techniques and procedures that make firms capable to determine in detail the configuration of every system or product, at every discernible moment of its Life Cycle.
Arcadia Consulting Ltd. is the only Greek consulting firm which possesses excusive know-how and experience in developing and implementing CM Plans and procedures for:
- Configuration Identification, in regard to determining Configuration Items, Configuration Identifiers, specifications, data lists etc, Configuration Changes Control, regarding the Engineering Change Proposals Release & Recording, the Verification of Change Incorporation etc.
- Configuration Status Accounting, in regard to designing and developing the Configuration Management Data Base, the CM Data Elements, the CSA files, the CSA reports, etc.
- Configuration Audits, in regard to Physical, Functional and Operational Audits.
Integrated Logistics Support - ILS
ILS is the Integrated Systems' Support philosophy, which offers initial design, budgeting and controls and ensures systems will be delivered to the final user will not only fulfil the performance requirements, but will also be supported cost effectively throughout its expected Life Cycle.
The main target of Integrated Logistics Support (ILS) is to incorporate in integrated form System's Operating Model, with the entire spectrum of required Logistics Support, in terms of quality, quantity, cost and time, taking into consideration System's Configuration and Technical Characteristics.
ILS development and implementation provides:
- The best possible Operational Availability of the system
- Full utilization of available support resources
- Maximization of Life Cycle (LC), with consequent decrease of the Life Cycle Cost (LCC)
- Support to management decisions concerning acquisition of appropriate support resources (Integrated Logistics Support Elements - ILSM), as well as acquisition of new systems, which will be integrated, into the organization effectively.
Arcadia Consulting Ltd. having participated in ILS projects constitutes the most reliable choice, offering solutions in choosing the appropriate "Support Package", based on:
- IT Tools OPUS10 and CATLOC, developed by the Systecon, globally considered as the best choice for designing and implementing support programs for systems like ships, railways etc.)
- The Logistics Support Analysis, techniques and methodologies by which the logistics support necessary for the system is identified and evaluated, alternative solutions are considered, choose the best one and substantiate the choice, form the Logistics Support Analysis Record.
The term maintenance refers to all the necessary actions that must be taken during the Life Cycle of a system, regarding its preservation or recall (in cases of failure) to Operational Availability, which is determined as the system's capability to perform successfully the operational scenario which has been assigned to it and maximize its efficiency and useful Life Cycle.
Effective operational availability of every system has as a prerequisite the existence of a Maintenance Management System supported by the appropriate IT Tools, which makes every firm capable to use its resources in a cost effective manner, through the provision of excellent maintenance services, composed of a grid of activities regarding:
- Planning preventive maintenance activities and repairs
- The overall management of work orders
- Materials Management.
A Maintenance System must:
- Has as inputs the operations outputs (e.g. Production Program)
- Has discernible and distinctly defined Maintenance Levels (Preventive Maintenance Plan), e.g. times, jobs, procedures, the manner and methodology of dealing with failures (Corrective Maintenance)
- Be in full correlation and determine demands for all other ILSE, e.g. spare parts, technical manuals that support operations etc.
In this field Arcadia Consulting Ltd. experienced consultants can help companies to develop the best maintenance policy and design the Maintenance Management System, which should indicatively cover:
- The Documentation of MMS
- The Master Maintenance Plan
- The Reports System
- The IT System
- The Structure of the MMS Data Base.
Technical Manuals are the output of the ILSE Documentation Procedure, which constitute a fixed reference and provide all the necessary information for every CI (system, sub-system, component part), facilitating its Logistics support.
Technical Manuals, which can be issued in hard copy or in electronic form (PDF-HTML-Interactive), contents in well predefined structured, user instructions, maintenance procedures, calibration procedures, installation procedures, drawing, parts catalogues etc.
he in-depth knowledge and experience BLS Ltd. possesses in Logistics Engineering, unique in the Greek market due to the projects it has executed, grants the company the ability to prepare Technical Manuals or modify or update existing ones, based on specific methodology, making them well structured, handy and uniformed, true tools for support operations, maintenance and logistics support for all systems.